Application for Dethmourne Silvermane

Dethmourne Silvermane

November 21st, 2016, 7:29 pm

Active Timezone: Flexible but primarily EU/AUS (despite living in US). Not reliably available on weekends as I take that opportunity to visit my daughter and fiancee.

Killboard link: https://zkillboard.com/character/2016863725/

Reason for joining: Highsec is fucking godawful but I don't want to keep cycling back to TEST anymore.

Fiscal stability in game: Awful by my own standards, probably ok by most standards? Sitting on ~2b after I plex for the month.

What is your expertise or gaming focus in EVE: Lately I've mostly ratted, but I've at least dabbled in just about everything EVE has to offer except for capital PvP

What is your previous corp and why did you leave: Mare Crisium Industries - corp was honestly fine but (feel free to laugh) a line was crossed for me on a personal level when there was open hostility post-election towards Democrats on comms beyond that of joking/ribbing; I try to keep my personal politics out of my EVE experience but when I was feeling very negative about life and I logged into comms to "This Democrat should just kill herself" I (as a Democrat) couldn't separate those feelings and realized I couldn't stay.

What kind of ship stuff or play style are you looking for in 7-2: Small gang/Fleet PvP in subcaps of any sort. Preferably also a place where I can pay other people for my ships instead of having to have a self-sufficient hauling/manufacturing setup, as I like to just pay a premium and fly.  Even better if there's a little PvE opportunity available to help me plex and replace ships. Not too fussed about things like SRP as I'd rather just make the ISK to replace it myself.

Who knows you in 7-2: thebarry

Post fits for the following ship prompts in EFT format.  Discussion on the fit is encouraged.  Use an all level V character for fitting discussion.

1.  Fleet Interceptor
For this I selected the Ares as I'm a horrible Gallente nerd and love the look of their ships. I considered a few options - dropping tank for ECM, a web, or a scram, for example - but ultimately decided that the near-doubling of EHP offered by fitting an MSE was worthwhile, even with the increased sig radius that a shield tank added. Guns are present for handling drones but not expected to be utilized in a meaningful capacity against ship targets
[spoiler=Ares, Fleet Ceptor][Ares, Fleet Ceptor]
Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II
Overdrive Injector System II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Warp Disruptor II
Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Light Ion Blaster II, Antimatter Charge S

Small Core Defense Field Extender I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I[/spoiler]

2.  Kiting pirate faction cruiser
For this I went with the Cynabal. With its reasonable slot layout and excellent bonuses for catching fellow cruisers, I was very keen on maximizing the range it could stay at without being caught so I went with polycarbs for the agility/speed combo and an RF point for that sweet 30k range. Using barrage this is pushing just over 300 dps (with dps drones) at the edge of point range, and with the medium neut it should be able to dunk any frigates that get on top of it, particularly with the drone loadout I've selected. I did consider using medium drones but we're focusing on kiting and to me a big value of a kiting setup is GTFO capabilities, so I wanted to include a flight of emergency dishonor drones in case somehow we're tackled by something that isn't going to let go quickly enough - e.g. we have somehow been landed on by the dreaded scram/web tackle punisher (or whatever the modern version of that is - I haven't done much solo PvP lately).
[spoiler=Kiting Cynabal][Cynabal, Kiting]
Damage Control II
Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer
Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer
Tracking Enhancer II
Tracking Enhancer II

50MN Microwarpdrive II
Republic Fleet Warp Disruptor
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Medium Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800

425mm AutoCannon II, Barrage M
Medium Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer

Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I

Warrior II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5
[/spoiler]

3.  Kiting navy faction battlecruiser
I've selected the Navy Harbinger for this. It's a little more predisposed to end up brawling if it can't outrace the target, but with almost 55k EHP, nearly 1600 m/s, and 587 DPS with scorch (703 dps with imp navy MF) it has the capability to kite slower ships while being able to survive a pounding from smaller boats that get in range. I've selected the valkyrie flight to help spread damage types a bit, and maintained my strong preference for having ECM dishonor drones for disengaging from an unfavorable moment if possible. I considered but discarded an MJD/MWD variant with beam lasers as being too vulnerable in the event that a frigate tackle was successful.
[spoiler=Kiting Navy Harbinger][Harbinger Navy Issue, Kite]
Damage Control II
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Tracking Enhancer II

50MN Microwarpdrive II
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 800
Republic Fleet Warp Disruptor
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Heavy Pulse Laser II, Scorch M
Medium Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer

Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing II
Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing II

Valkyrie II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5
[/spoiler]
4.  Your current favorite PvP fit
This is probably a terrible fit but I really love the Taranis, and this kit allows it to get up close and brawl down even some cruisers, using the afterburner to help tank while the nos keeps us from being too vulnerable to the power of a single medium neut. We're relying on target selection here, but the relatively low price (sub-50m) of this ship means that it's a relatively disposable option for enjoying a fast roam to find suitable engagements, especially given the interceptor bubble immunity - this should be fine for brawling most frigates and should even work favorably against some kiting cruiser setups.
[spoiler=Brawl Ranis][Taranis, Solo Ranis]
Damage Control II
Vigor Compact Micro Auxiliary Power Core
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Warp Scrambler II

Light Electron Blaster II, Void S
Small Energy Nosferatu II

Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator II
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Hobgoblin II x2
[/spoiler]
5.  An MWD fit, Heavy Neutron Blaster Thorax with over 20k EHP and no fitting modules or rigs.
I understood this to mean no fitting rigs - if it means no rigs at all, this won't work, but this setup has 21k EHP (primarily in structure), 582 dps, and at 2300 m/s should be able to close with other brawling cruisers. This will struggled against a lot of kiting options, but the remote sensor damp is there with the goal of trying to force kiting ships into an engagement range that the thorax can reach (basically 13km at which point a heated web should allow closing to scram range). once in range, the DPS of this kit should allow for burning down almost any other cruiser; a small group of these with a quality fast tackler or two should be able to brawl very favorably in most small-gang situations, and again we're looking at a very cheap kit to replace in the event that things go full pear-shaped. This does lack any decent "GTFO" option but the objective here is not necessarily to make it out alive on an individual ship basis, but to tackle something and win the ISK war.
[spoiler=Hull-Tanked Brawler Thorax][Thorax, Brawler Rax]
Reinforced Bulkheads II
Reinforced Bulkheads II
Damage Control II
Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II
Remote Sensor Dampener II, Targeting Range Dampening Script

Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Void M

Medium Transverse Bulkhead II

Hammerhead II x5
[/spoiler]
6.  A T1 scanning frigate which deals over 300 DPS with T2 modules and drones.
I tried a lot of things for this and couldn't find a way (without using Polarized guns) to hit 300 DPS on any of the 4 scanning frigates. Here's the closest I got.
[spoiler=Brawl Magnate][Magnate, Surprise DPS]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II

Light Neutron Blaster II, Void S
Light Neutron Blaster II, Void S
Rocket Launcher II, Mjolnir Rage Rocket

Small Hybrid Burst Aerator II
Small Ancillary Current Router I
[empty rig slot]

Hobgoblin II x3
[/spoiler]
Respond to the following questions to the best of your ability.

A.  A sovereignty structure is being attacked by a small gang during off hours, and you want to delay the entosis until more friends can log in.  What ship do you use, and how do you do it?
Depends on the gang, but if it's small enough I'd probably just suicide blackbirds into the gang spreading ECMs and then lather/rinse/repeat. If it's small enough that I might be able to take down a ship or two before dying I'd also be willing to sacrifice dps boats to trim their gang to a size where the blackbird plan is feasible, or even to kill the entire gang.

B.  You are in a kiting gang and are fighting a kitchen sink.  FC orders you to burn to a celestial and follow primaries.  You fuck up and get scrambled by an Atron.  What do you do?
Assuming I'm not some special key feature, I notify in fleet that I'm tackled and link the atron pilot, launch ECM drones on the atron if I have them, see if the Atron's flying in a way I can exploit to break tackle, and continue to follow primaries as best I can unless/until an opportunity arises to meaningfully kill the atron. -If- the fleet is more casual, I might mention atron pilot's name in comms, but generally I'm just going to accept that I'm probably about to lose a ship and do my best to minimize those chances without interrupting/distracting the fleet unduly.

C.  You get home from work, log in to EVE and Teamspeak.  There is a large group of people in a PvP channel, and are in battle comms when you join the channel.  You want in, but don't know what they're in or where they're at.  What do you do?
Check fleet finder for the fleet, join fleet, check fleet MOTD. That probably won't have current location but it will likely have doctrine we're using. Hop in appropriate ship, and then in fleet ask for fleet location and if it's safe to catch up.

D.  You jump into a system and spot a Vexor Navy Issue on scan.  There are only two in local, including yourself.  How do you determine if the VNI is active in space, doing PvE, and what type of damage to shoot him with?
Assuming I don't have combat probes to find him, I'll review anom locations and dscan towards each, using dscan range/angle to try to trim down possible VNI locations. I'm likely to bounce to a celestial or two to triangulate, if needed, but more likely to just trim it down to a possible couple anoms and hop straight to one. The anom rat type is going to tell me what dtype I should be shooting, generally, but when I land I'm also going to see what graphical effects are happening - if I'm able to identify what type of tank the VNI is running, I might be able to guess at lowest resist based on any possible hole patching attempts (e.g. most "omni" tanks are going to end up with a kinetic or thermal hole due to patching em/exp as appropriate for their tank type). Assuming I have the opportunity and I'm not actually dancing around anoms with another PvPer, I'm going to try the likely resist hole based on tank type and rat dtype first, then if that appears to be resisted well go for the 'secondary' resist hole which should similarly be dictated by same with a nod towards omnitank.

E.  A hostile is trash talking in local and you want to respond.  You open fire with your best line of smack talk.  What do you say?
I don't smack in local, I find being silent aggravates them more.

F.  Your gang has a target tackled, and an over eager fleetmate in a Command Destroyer MJDs it away without thinking.  The target gets out.  Your fleetmate is Canadian and probably high.  How do you respond?
Shit happens.

G.  A corpmate is talking about a movie, and you realize you absolutely hate that film.  What film is it, why is it awful and what insult do you deliver to your corpmate?
I... don't think I can think of a film that I hate?

thebarry
Friends of Molden Heath
Friends of Molden Heath

November 21st, 2016, 7:44 pm

Confirming Dethmourne is a chill dude with a good attitude.

Dethmourne Silvermane

November 22nd, 2016, 1:47 am

[quote="thebarry"]
Confirming Dethmourne is a chill dude with a good attitude.
[/quote]

And terrible taste in solo boats ;)

Wallymarts
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent

November 22nd, 2016, 6:18 am

1. i dont like the ares, simply because you are tackle, get rid of blasters, so you can drop the fitting low and get more speed or a sig amp to reduce chance of being tackled. Also can upgrade that 5mn to a quad lif to keep sig low and cap stability.

About the Joining fleet, very few of the FC's add ANYTHING to MOTD, better off just typing in fleet "where we at, what do you need"

You dont shit talk? What the fuck

Thats fair

Hi

trever
Friends of Molden Heath
Friends of Molden Heath

November 22nd, 2016, 7:36 am

Which would you prefer in pvp and a short sentence why.

Claw or malediction

Stabber fleet issue or osprey navy issue

Vindicator or Machariel

Dethmourne Silvermane

November 22nd, 2016, 8:18 pm

[quote="Wallymarts"]
1. i dont like the ares, simply because you are tackle, get rid of blasters, so you can drop the fitting low and get more speed or a sig amp to reduce chance of being tackled. Also can upgrade that 5mn to a quad lif to keep sig low and cap stability.

About the Joining fleet, very few of the FC's add ANYTHING to MOTD, better off just typing in fleet "where we at, what do you need"

You dont shit talk? What the fuck

Thats fair

Hi
[/quote]

1) Yeah, I was thinking (with the blasters) about being able to pick off drones, but that's rarely going to be an issue for a fleet ceptor, I suppose. I like the modifications you've suggested.

2) Fair 'nuff. I'm used to TEST where it's basically a requirement in fleets to have the MOTD updated with information.

3) I know, I know, no shit talking, it's weird.

[quote="trever"]
Which would you prefer in pvp and a short sentence why.

Claw or malediction

Stabber fleet issue or osprey navy issue

Vindicator or Machariel

[/quote]

Claw vs Malediction - Malediction - I don't really fly either, but I should be able to utilize the extra scram range to dictate the engagement vs my opponent, using javelin rockets to kite at ~13-14k and keep my opponent from putting meaningful damage to me. Additionally, the 20% armor resistances aren't negligible even though I'm unlikely to put a significant tank on the ship.

Stabber Fleet Issue v Osprey Navy Issue - I've never flown either, but the Navy Osprey seems like a solid RLML platform and I like the way those function so I'm leaning ONI over SFI.

Vindicator or Machariel - As much as I -adore- the Vindicator, the Machariel is a much more flexible PvP boat. Vindis are very nice in very limited circumstances, but the Machariel is better at just about everything in PvP - maintaining desired engagement envelopes, catching targets by warping to their destination faster, etc. The only time a Vindi is desirable is if I am sitting on a warp bubble or something where I'm basically guaranteed to be in web range. That's not even going into the dtype selection that the Machariel offers.

Evelgrivion
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent

November 23rd, 2016, 2:57 am

If you made an alpha clone alt, which race would you choose, and why?

Dethmourne Silvermane

November 23rd, 2016, 3:18 am

[quote="Evelgrivion"]
If you made an alpha clone alt, which race would you choose, and why?
[/quote]

Gallente because French.

On a more serious note I think blasters are underrated, I think the fed navy comet is a hilarious solo boat, and in general I like drones for their flexibility.

Destrukter
Friends of Molden Heath
Friends of Molden Heath

November 23rd, 2016, 12:30 pm

Oh god.. another fucking democrat.

What's your thoughts on the subject of Twerking?

Altaen
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent

November 23rd, 2016, 4:23 pm

[quote="Destrukter"]

[/quote]

lawl

Lord Azori

November 23rd, 2016, 4:31 pm

What is the best worst movie ever? Why?

Dethmourne Silvermane

November 23rd, 2016, 6:32 pm

[quote="Destrukter"]

What's your thoughts on the subject of Twerking?
[/quote]

I'd say I'm more a 60s Republican, sir, and the Party has simply changed where I have not.

Twerking is great in very limited scenarios, but most girls (even otherwise-hot girls) don't look good doing it, because you really need a proper booty to make it look right. I'm sure there are guys who can pull it off too but I don't swing for those fences.

[quote="Lord Azori"]
What is the best worst movie ever? Why?
[/quote]

A Flight of Dragons because it's so horrible and cliche and oh god I just want to watch it again. The animation is... 80s. The voice acting is double 80s. The storyline is like "HI I AM A WRITER AND I GET TO MARY SUE MYSELF INTO A REAL MOVIE".

Depending on viewpoint, Hedwig, Rocky Horror, and/or Clue also qualify for this I suppose.

Altaen
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent

November 23rd, 2016, 6:37 pm

You are cool. Join my corp.

Edit: I mean you have to fly with us first to prove you are real...but still.
Last edited by Altaen on November 23rd, 2016, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dethmourne Silvermane

November 23rd, 2016, 8:29 pm

[quote="Altaen"]
You are cool. Join my corp.

Edit: I mean you have to fly with us first to prove you are real...but still.
[/quote]

Beep Boop Confirming Dethmourne.exe is a real boy and not malware.

Annah Erata
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent
[7-2] Calamitous-Intent

November 23rd, 2016, 8:46 pm

RE: American politics.

In my experience we're skewed towards liberal/progressive views, though actual party affiliations differ.  That being said, we do have political debates on discord all the time and I haven't seen it devolve to personal attacks/calls to biomass yourself irl though it can get a little heated at times.  There's also the occasional Euros who come and chat (like when Brexit happened) and offer their two cents as outsiders.

In general we try not to be a bunch of pricks to each other (or get personal) despite our disagreements, and those who do get hazed quickly.  I used to be part of a culturally selective alliance that others would deride for being a bunch of SJW's, so trust me when I say I wouldn't have stayed for this long if it weren't the case.

• Information